20 cups whipping cream, divided
3 1/2 oz. pistachios, shelled and chopped (Bronte pistachios, if possible)
3 1/2 oz. walnuts, shelled (first-quality-grade walnuts, if possible)
3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. powdered sugar
6 tbsp. + 2 tsp. sugar, divided
Caramel sauce or fresh fruit purée, as desired
- In a small saucepan, caramelize the walnuts with 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. sugar and allow to cool.
- Grind the caramelized walnuts and mix gently with 2 cups of whipping cream. Cover and refrigerate.
- Beat the two egg yolks with 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the powdered sugar. Combine the egg yolks with the pistachios, then the remaining cream, and finally the egg whites.
- In serving cups, layer the chilled walnut cream at the base, then the pistachio mixture on top.
- Refrigerate until solid and ready to serve.
- Serve with a hot caramel sauce or a fresh fruit purée, as desired.