STEP 1: PREPARE GARLIC PUREE (30-40 MINUTES)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Break the garlic heads into cloves. Lightly crush the cloves under the flat side of a knife and remove the peels, keeping the cloves as intact as possible. Transfer to a small baking dish and add the oil. Bake until the garlic is tender and turns light beige, 30 to 40 minutes. Let the garlic cool in the dish. (place bowl to the side)
- Transfer the garlic and oil to a small covered container. Add enough oil to completely cover the garlic. Leave the garlic intact until ready to mash. Just before using, mash the garlic with a fork.
TIP: (The garlic can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 month.)
STEP 2: PREPARE MARINADE
- Pulse all ingredients together in a blender until combined.
STEP 3: PREPARE VINAIGRETTE
- Process the maple syrup, sherry vinegar, lemon juice, roasted garlic, mustard, basil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a blender. With the blender running, gradually pour in the olive oil through the feed tube (or the hole in the lid). Add truffle oil and pulse to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: The vinaigrette can be covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.
STEP 4: PREPARE CHICKEN
- One at a time, place a chicken breast half between two sheets of plastic wrap. Lightly pound the chicken with the flat side of a meat pounder or a rolling pin until the chicken is about 1/2 in (12 mm) thick. Transfer the chicken to a 1-gallon (3.8 liter) self-sealing plastic bag. Pour in the marinade. Close the bag and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Toast nuts (see step below)
- Prepare an outdoor grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off the excess marinade. Lightly brush the chicken with oil. Put the chicken on the grill gate. Grill with the lid closed as much as possible, turning once, until the chicken feels firm when pressed, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a carving board and let cool for 3 minutes. Cut the chicken across the grain on a diagnol into slices about 1/2 in (12 mm) thick.
STEP 5: TOASTING NUTS
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Spread the nuts on a small baking sheet or toaster oven tray and bake, stirring occasionally, until the nuts are lightly toasted, 8-11 minutes. Nuts with high oil content, such as macadamias, will take the least amount of time.
(Some cooks use a skillet, but this is not nearly as reliable as baking, and the nuts can burn in spots.)
TIP: Toasting the nuts in the oven enhances their flavor.
TIP: For a small amount of nuts, less than 1/2 cup (55 g), a toaster oven may be more efficient than a standard oven.
STEP 6: SERVING INSTRUCTIONS
- Toss the greens, feta, blueberries, almonds, macadamia nuts and pumpkin seeds together in a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette and toss again. Divide the salad among four dinner plates. Add equal amounts of the sliced chicken and mango to each and serve.