3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 or 3 garlic cloves, to taste
1 lb. ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 1/2 cups of clear vegetable broth (celery, carrot, onion, parsley, pinch of salt and pepper to taste)
11 oz. dry homemade bread, diced into cubes
Basil leaves, handful
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, blond the garlic in the extra virgin olive oil on low heat.
- Add the tomatoes and a few basil leaves. Let stew for 15 minutes.
- Slowly add the broth, and then the diced bread, to the mix.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, turn off heat and let stand for an hour.
- After an hour, stir the soup; the bread will have absorbed most of the liquid. Traditionally soup is served as-is or, for a smoother texture, purée with a hand blender.
- Serve warm, adding a few chopped basil leaves and a swirl of extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Pepper and salt to taste.