Caramel meets coconut in this island-inspired take on a traditional recipe. Make it ahead of time and relax with your guests until they’re ready to flan the night away.
MAKES: 6 to 8 servings
- 2½ cups/600 ml whole milk
- ½ cup/120 ml Coco Lopez® cream of coconut
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup/150 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp/5 ml vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp/90 ml Scratch Caramel Sauce (see recipe below)
- Simmer milk and cream of coconut over medium heat.
- In separate bowl, whisk eggs, yolks, and sugar until mixture turns pale yellow. Gradually whisk in warm milk mixture and vanilla to create custard. Strain custard through fine mesh strainer.
- Divide caramel sauce into six to eight ramekins evenly, coating the insides. Divide custard into ramekins evenly, close to top, skimming off any foam.
- Place ramekins in hot water bath and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350º F/175º C for about 30 minutes. Flan will be done when an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool to room temperature. Wrap each flan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
TIP:Set refrigerated flan ramekins in warm water to release the caramel before flipping over to serve.