This festive twist on a tasty classic never disappoints. With a rich texture and just a smack of Scotch whisky, this butterscotch pudding promises to please every guest at your holiday soiree.
MAKES: 8 servings
- 4 cups/945 ml heavy cream
- 2 cups/475 ml whole milk
- 1 1/3 cups/295 g dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp/5 g iodized salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp/50 g corn starch
- 6 Tbsp/85 g butter, cut into pieces
- 1½ Tbsp/20 ml Dewar’s® Scotch Whisky
- 1 Tbsp/15 ml vanilla extract
- White Chocolate Mousse Whipped Cream as needed (see recipe below)
- Bring cream, milk, sugar, and salt to a boil until sugar dissolves. Cook for 30 seconds, whisking briskly, then remove from heat.
- In another bowl, combine egg yolks and corn starch. Whip until pale yellow. Slowly add 4 cups/945 ml of warm cream mixture, ½ cup/120 ml at a time, to egg mixture to temper. Whip until smooth.
- Add tempered egg mixture to saucepan with remaining warm cream mixture. Simmer at medium heat for 5-7 minutes, whisking constantly until it thickens.
- Stir in butter pieces until melted. Stir in whiskey and vanilla. Remove from heat.
- Strain through fine mesh strainer. Cool for 30 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally. Garnish with White Chocolate Mousse Whipped Cream before serving.
TIP: To tell when sugar has dissolved, drizzle your mix from a wooden spoon and see if the pattern holds.